Samstag, 29. März 2008

It's been a long time, long time now...

"45) Have strangers sleep at your place (like couchsurfers or something)"

It's been a long time since I've updated this thing the last time. I haven't done much since, a lot of planning but nothing ever happened that helped me with scribbling a few things of the list. And number 45 isn't an exception either. I just basically passed writing about it over until now although finalized it early september of 2007: Having strangers sleep at your place.

These days I seem to think a lot
about that peculiar event of having people you've never seen before sleep at your place. (The main reason being the search for couches for upcoming trips to Stockholm, Barcelona and Dublin in April.) The amazing thing here is not the "uuh, these people are strangers"-part but actually people wanting to come to a blunt hamlet like the place I was raised in.

So how did it happen?
People that come to know me better learn all kinds of stuff like my affection for sensual touches while occupying parking lots, my disfavor of modern delta blues and of course that I like to travel. The moneysaving guy I am somehow stumbled across the whole couchsurfing thing ca. 2005. Which is basically asking total strangers for a place to stay for a couple of nights who most likely are very warm-hearted, welcoming dudes and dudettes that ask nothing for in return. (Beside the occasional sexual flavors every now and then, of course.) So I've been doing this since almost three years now and surfed like 19 times - almost nearly never got disappointed - but still: nobody ever dared to visit my hood.

Until september 2007. Back then I had the opportunity to host two nice Italians (36 and 45 years I think) that were traveling on business all through (Lower) Austria taking pictures of wine cellars and related stuff for photo agencies. Which was cool. Not only translating them words they picked up on signs and stuff from Austrian German to German German and then to English (They were like: "What does Bluza mean?") but simply being able to give something back to that well working, fascinating community that is couchsurfing, that not only enriched my days abroad but also introduced me to a lot of interesting people.

1 Kommentar:

alicetragedy hat gesagt…

having strangers sleep at your place is weird. not that I've ever done it, since I seem to only stay in cities where I know someone, and since I seem to never stay in a city long enough for anyone to couchsurf. but still; someday, I'll do it.
on another note: italians! GO BABY GO GO!